Too #$%@in’ Hot To Brew


“Oh you’re going to miss this hot weather when the winter comes along!”

Shut up. Shut. Up. Shut up right now and forever. I will never, e-e-e-ever miss this kind of weather. Just like I’ll never miss freezing my giblets off in the winter. At least when it’s cold as get out there are pretty effective ways to warm up (light crap on fire, for example). But when it is hot and humid like it has been in and around Boston this past week, it seems like there is nothing you can do to – God kill for using this phrase – “beat the heat.”

Sure you can sit in front of an air conditioner all day (which is exactly what I did), but that limits your number of activities to 1. sitting, and 2. various other things that can be accomplished while sitting (reading, televising, etc). Homebrewing is not on that short list of accomplishables. Which sucks.

I did manage to add some hops to my DIPA and move it to secondary, but like most everything else I do homebrewing wise: I missed it up somehow. First, I added all my dry hops to muslin bag. This is not a mistake in and of itself, but that bag was so hop-full that it wouldn’t fit into my carboy. So I figured, “Screw it, I’ll just dump all these hops in here and rack to a bucket before bottling and that should take care of my hop trub.” Which may or may not be the case, we’ll find out. What was the case was that I proceeded to dump all of my hops on the kitchen floor/rug. So like anyone who spent money on hops, I risked infecting the batch and quickly snatched the pellets off the rug and floor and feverishly dumped them into the secondary.

*Sigh*

The beer is in secondary with hops and it’s bubbling a bit. I probably started the dry hopping stage before primary fermentation was 100% complete, or it could’ve just gotten aerated when I was transferring to secondary, or the oxygen in the hop pellets was enough to restart the yeast. I will say this: San Diego SuperYeast is one active mofo.

After I moved my brew to secondary, I harvested a decent amount SDSY, moved some into the vial it came in, and eventually pitched that into a starter. I put the starter on my stir plate, turned it off and went to bed. When I kicked it on the next day, holy crap was it active. For the first time ever I had krausen in my starter. So I turned it off and popped in my fridge. I’ll bust it out when I get home from work on Friday and get it reactivated and ready for a Saturday brewday.

Some valuable lessons learned these past couple weeks, I’d say.

Oh- since apparently people are actually reading these blog posts for  whatever reason, if you have a suggestion for a topic you want me to write about, please leave it in the comments. If it’s something I don’t know anything about, I may even try to investigate/experiment (e.g. oak-aging, sour beers, another Mr. Beer upgrade).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s